Temat: AspeQt v1.01 Released

You can get it here... enjoy...

Odp: AspeQt v1.01 Released

A8W, I noticed that in this version of AspeQt you have attempted to hide that your software is licenced under GNU GPL v. 2 - you have removed the file license.txt and also edited the text within the application's Help menu to remove any mention of the license.  But you have no right to publish AspeQt like that. The original code of AspeQt by Fatih Aygun and other contributors such as Matthias Reichl was licenced to you under GPL, and any additions you have made to that code are also restricted to be published under GPL as well. The licence legally obliges you to publish source code of AspeQt together with any binary release you have made or will make. And tricks like removing license.txt do not change this fact.

Please stop violating the GPL licence.

Ostatnio edytowany przez Krótki (2016-03-15 09:25:46)

A8CAS - narzędzie do 100% archiwizacji kaset Atari

Report inappropriate content

poszukuje kwarcu 14.187576 MHz (CO70034)

sq7bti: tym już się zająłem wcześniej.

Are you trying to add some value to AspeQt that you took over, or is it there just to prove that you can upload some source code to Sourceforge?

Ray, I'm publicly accusing you of knowingly violating the licence of the very software you offer to your clients, and the only answer of yours is ... a poor attempt to change the topic? I would rather expect at least a little refutal of my accusations, if not an actual explanation of your actions.

Maybe you are just mistaken, and not actively trying to violate the rights of other people; I guess it's still possible, if not plausible. In that case, I would like to recommend reading the FAQ document about the GPL licence - it might be easier to understand than the licence itself.

Here are the most relevant parts:
Why does the GPL require including a copy of the GPL with every copy of the program?
Can I release a modified version of a GPL-covered program in binary form only?
Can I make binaries available on a network server, but send sources only to people who order them?

So, can we expect you to explain what's actually going on?

Krótki napisał/a:

So, can we expect you to explain what's actually going on?

What's going on is that I am still developing the software, and it is still free to anyone who cares to use it. I am not just snatching a project from it's developers hands (re; "RespeQt") and sitting on my ass, doing nothing but removing all "Ray" related references from it. Accusing "Ray" for promoting his hardware through his links and references, yet adding noting of any tangible value to it other than a "Mac Address locked" Bluetooth device support, only to promote somebody else's really generic but "soft locked" run of the mill, off the shelf Bluetooth dongle. Hey, that's fine with me, it is also fine that I have to write on a "Polish" speaking board in English from an ocean away. What is not fine, is people like you trying to teach me a lesson, a lesson I have no interest in listening.

So to answer your question on licences and source codes and such..... wait and see..

Adios

a8w napisał/a:

Adios

Still, you have to respect the terms of original license.

Atari: FireBee, (Falcon030 CT60e SuperVidel SvEthlana CTPCI), TT, (520ST Pak030 Frak PuPla Panther), (520ST 4MB ST RAM 8MB TT RAM CosmosEx SC1435), (1040STFM UltraSatan SM124), (1040STE 4MB ST RAM 8MB TT RAM CosmosEx NetUSBee SM144 SC1224), 260ST, 520 ST+, (MEGA ST SM125), (65XE Rapidus U1MB VBXE SIDE2 SIO2PC), (Jaguar SkunkBoard), Lynx II, 2x Portfolio

Even convicted murderers deserve recognition.

poszukuje kwarcu 14.187576 MHz (CO70034)

a8w napisał/a:

What's going on is that I am still developing the software, and it is still free to anyone who cares to use it. I am not just snatching a project from it's developers hands (re; "RespeQt") and sitting on my ass, doing nothing but removing all "Ray" related references from it. Accusing "Ray" for promoting his hardware through his links and references, yet adding noting of any tangible value to it other than a "Mac Address locked" Bluetooth device support, only to promote somebody else's really generic but "soft locked" run of the mill, off the shelf Bluetooth dongle.

Ray has mixed-up projects, but I'm pretty sure he has done it intensionally.
"RespeQt" supports Bluetooth communication without any restrictions (no MAC address checking, etc.).
The source code is uploaded to GitHub, no secrets there.
Ray implemented recently similar functionality for "AspeQt A8W", however his code has some issues, which I pointed out here (looking at the answers, this must have hurt him deeply...).
There is a "software-hardware" bundling in my SIO2BT Android App, which is a closed source project (and has no relevance to the AspeQt discusion).

a8w napisał/a:

Hey, that's fine with me, it is also fine that I have to write on a "Polish" speaking board in English from an ocean away. What is not fine, is people like you trying to teach me a lesson, a lesson I have no interest in listening.

So to answer your question on licences and source codes and such..... wait and see..

Adios

Was he drunk?
Let's ...wait and see...

Ostatnio edytowany przez Montezuma (2016-03-16 10:10:10)

ATARI 65XE + SIO2BT
http://atari.pl/hsc/ad.php?i=22.3

Czy ja dobrze widzę, że nie ma już tam źródeł itp?

"DOWNLOADS WILL NOW ONLY BE AVAILABLE FROM MY WEBSITE, PLEASE VISIT THE ASPEQT PAGE AT www.atari8warez.com"

:lol:

I co to załatwia sprawę licencji? Żenada :/

Ray, I thought that the context of my question was clear: I wasn't asking what's going on in your development or in develolment of any other project, because those thing have nothing to do with the issue of you violating GPL. It seems that I have to make my question more specific for you, so here it goes:

Can you explain what's actually going on with you breaking the licence of the AspeQt project? Why are you violating it? When can we expect this violation to stop?

If you felt like being lectured, well, you actions indicate that you either didn't understand the consequences of GNU GPL, or worse, chose to purposefully violate it. I assumed the former in good faith, hency my lecturing you. Surely, you wouldn't want me to automatically assume the latter, would you?

I am not going to discuss licensing issues with you, since you know all about it, you can make your mind up yourself, like others do...so long..

Ostatnio edytowany przez a8w (2016-03-16 21:09:17)

This thread is like:
http://i.imgur.com/qpWvcd8.png

.: miejsce na twoją reklamę :.

If I may suggest something: it deserves a separate news on the main page... Just to cut the b*llshit and to document this GPL violation for the future.

And BTW, it's impossible to snatch a GPL'd project from it's developers hands. See how many forks linux kernel has: https://github.com/torvalds/linux. 12066 when I'm writing this post (and it's only on github, but there is more). It's the way how it's done. One click and one can create her own fork to experiment with some ideas. If they're good, they're pulled back in by the main repository. But I think I'll hit the wall with these explanations.

W.

Ostatnio edytowany przez greblus (2016-03-17 12:16:38)

greblus napisał/a:

If I may suggest something: it deserves a separate news on the main page... Just to cut the b*llshit and to document this GPL violation for the future.

Look, I don't want to start a war here, you don't know my intentions, so go easy with the accusations. The fact that i don't want to discuss copyright issues here doesn't mean I ignore them, I will be in contact with the copyright holders and get some sort of agreement, but I am not in liberty to discuss this here or anywhere else.

greblus napisał/a:

And BTW, it's impossible to snatch a GPL'd project from it's developers hands.

Well, theoretically it looks impossible, in practice though that's what happened. I've been developing AspeQt since Fatih left the scene. Since then there were nobody willing to participate in development, save a couple of people who did some language translations. And then the gang at Atariage, lead by, you know who, were always on my case because I expressed my opinion on the software he was developing. They practically forced me to abandon the AspeQt thread that I always was using to keep the community informed about the progress. (I suggest you review the last few pages of that thread and see how they turned it into garbage). And finally the person who was always on my case managed to get my account inactivated, so I can no longer participate. If was doing AspeQt for commercial gain I wouldn't give a hoot, besides I wouldn't be on Atariage to start with. Look at Steven of AtariMax, how often does he participate on discussions there. All that finally led me to withdraw my changes from Sourceforge. I didn't touch the original code though. Krotki promptly re-uploaded some of the code that I withdrew. Then somebody else started a fork, renamed it to respeqt, removed anything related to me (except the few copyright notices he felt he should not touch). Knowing him and the history of his relationship with me on Atariage, I know that was a reactionary action. And as i expected, he never did anything serious with it other than "sanitizing" it.  So to make the long story short, while it is theoretically impossible to snatch the development of GPL app from someone's hands, in practice it can be pretty close to it by blocking that person from accessing the community, and making it very difficult for him to connect with his supporters. And the fact that I am posting this, in this Polish speaking forum, is the best proof of that.

greblus napisał/a:

See how many forks linux kernel has: https://github.com/torvalds/linux. 12066

That's right, and it is exactly why linux is so messy, had it not been for the community, i wouldn't touch that OS. There is a good reason why it never catches on the desktop. People who don't care about the source but care about the reliability, the timely support and documentation go elsewhere. Also, Torvalds says "I supported GPL2 because, i want to share my code and I want to get something back in return (other's code)", look what I've got back instead :-)

And here we are, some people accusing me with breaking copyright laws, and that is coming from individuals who had no problem copying, hacking and distributing copyrighted work during Atari's haydays and even today. Can you honestly say that you respected the copyrights of all the software you collected over the years? If you can, then don't take my words personally.

I am all for sharing, but sharing for nothing in return does not appeal me. You can count on the next software coming from me won't be GPL licenced. Now you can go ahead and post whatever you want on the front page, where "it deserves to be".

Ehhh, we don't want to hear your history. You've just violated terms of GNU General Public License, version 2 I think. Face with that and stop ignoring this and filling this thread with that nonsense. We're not interested in anything else except that violation of license agreements.

.: miejsce na twoją reklamę :.

skrzyp napisał/a:

Ehhh, we don't want to hear your history. You've just violated terms of GNU General Public License, version 2 I think. Face with that and stop ignoring this and filling this thread with that nonsense. We're not interested in anything else except that violation of license agreements.

I don't recall addressing you, but for your entertainment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ&feature=player_embeddedand then go kiss him from his hands (if you have the stomac for it) :-)

Ostatnio edytowany przez a8w (2016-03-18 23:23:45)

a8w napisał/a:
greblus napisał/a:

Look, I don't want to start a war here, you don't know my intentions, so go easy with the accusations. The fact that i don't want to discuss copyright issues here doesn't mean I ignore them, I will be in contact with the copyright holders and get some sort of agreement, but I am not in liberty to discuss this here or anywhere else.

Ray, that'd be perfect for you and I wish you luck with that. But following license requirements (at least to me) is a matter of decency. The original author wanted it to be open source, knowingly chose this particular license probably due to specific development model which is good (IMHO). And I seriously doubt that he'll agree to re-license the code he wrote.

In practice, you can do whatever you want and chances of any legal actions against you are close to zero. But people (like me) will call you "the mariner who violated the GPL". Beware of that! :).

a8w: I hope you don't give a damn about those licensing gurus here :) For what it's worth they are right and correct about the license, but I think that the 'worst' consequences have already been set upon you by banning you on aage :) that's all this FSF/GNU/GPL crowd can do :) This is a niche project, nobody will sue you, just some badmouthing - which you can ignore :)
GPL violations happen all the time and nobody gives a damn - unless it's a project with a big community, they can spot it and go postal about it all over internet :) Some really serious stuff in terms of GPL violations happens in commercial software written for big players which the community has no access to.
So my take is this: GPL is evil, communist, and shoud die, you INDEED violated it, but I personally think you SHOULD NOT CARE, and the worst that can happen to you in terms of consequences has already happened to you. So, cheers and good luck with it!

ps. GPL zealots, spare yourself the comments :)

"Was powinny uzbrojone służby wyciągać z domów do punktów szczepień, a potem zamykać do pi* za rozpowszechnianie zagrożenia epidemicznego" - Epi 2021
"Powinno się pałować tylko tych co tego nie rozumieją. No i nie szmatki i nie chirurgiczne tylko min FFP3, to by miało jakiś sens. U mnie we firmie, to jak przychodzi bezmaskowiec, to stoi w deszczu przed firmą" - Pin 2021

If you think that GPL is evil and communist and die, the you should stop using GPL licensed software. That the only way :P

Atari: FireBee, (Falcon030 CT60e SuperVidel SvEthlana CTPCI), TT, (520ST Pak030 Frak PuPla Panther), (520ST 4MB ST RAM 8MB TT RAM CosmosEx SC1435), (1040STFM UltraSatan SM124), (1040STE 4MB ST RAM 8MB TT RAM CosmosEx NetUSBee SM144 SC1224), 260ST, 520 ST+, (MEGA ST SM125), (65XE Rapidus U1MB VBXE SIDE2 SIO2PC), (Jaguar SkunkBoard), Lynx II, 2x Portfolio

Thankfully there is a lot of great software with better licenses. And I asked you to spare yourself the comments :) adam

20 years ago I knew GPL by heart and was a GNU/FSF fanatic, I know the license and its usage ramifications. I just don't care about these 'problems' anymore since in real life everyone is violating the GPL all over the place - just not under the scrutiny of anyone to know and take actions.

"Was powinny uzbrojone służby wyciągać z domów do punktów szczepień, a potem zamykać do pi* za rozpowszechnianie zagrożenia epidemicznego" - Epi 2021
"Powinno się pałować tylko tych co tego nie rozumieją. No i nie szmatki i nie chirurgiczne tylko min FFP3, to by miało jakiś sens. U mnie we firmie, to jak przychodzi bezmaskowiec, to stoi w deszczu przed firmą" - Pin 2021

syscall napisał/a:

Thankfully there is a lot of great software with better licenses. And I asked you to spare yourself the comments :) adam

20 years ago I knew GPL by heart and was a GNU/FSF fanatic, I know the license and its usage ramifications. I just don't care about these 'problems' anymore since in real life everyone is violating the GPL all over the place - just not under the scrutiny of anyone to know and take actions.

Hi Syscal, I am not worried about anything but thank you for heartening comments, and I agree the worst that can happen already happened to me. On the other hand the zealots over at Atariage finally got off their asses and started to do something about respeqt (or at least they appear to do so). If we all work for the community (as we claim to do) that's nothing bad, in fact it's actually more benefit to the community.  I know a lot of people who couldn't care less about GPL or licencing in general. I am not selling the software and I only do this for hobby and for the sake of learning, and i enjoy seeing people use it.  And the moment I change my mind, there is nothing preventing me from "pulling the plug" on development, but I fail the see who's going to benefit from that other than a few zealots who think they are the GPL police (while they themselves develop proprietary software).

As for the paranoiac, extremist Stallman, all I can say, he can continue to chew on his foot cheese :-)

Ostatnio edytowany przez a8w (2016-03-19 21:47:48)

Adam Klobukowski napisał/a:

If you think that GPL is evil and communist and die, the you should stop using GPL licensed software. That the only way :P

And do you really believe this, are you telling me that you don't have a single copyrighted software that you acquired illegally (meaning by violating it's licensing requirements). If i lived enough on this earth I know the answer to that question, so you can consider it rhetorical :-)

Ostatnio edytowany przez a8w (2016-03-19 21:57:34)