Odp: Gravity Worms

Mq też używa już obudów Sikora...

a ja w tej walce "standard vs. błąd" jakoś bardziej kibicuje xxl'owi

Ja też jestem za tradycją i folklorem... ale za fanatyzmem to już nie! :-)

https://systemembedded.eu/
""Ja bardzo przepraszam, ale podejrzenia panów są całkowicie bezpodstawne. Ja niczym nie handluję. Ta pani przyszła do mnie w tym Pancake-u i w nim wychodzi.""
ABBUC Member #319. Preferowana forma kontaktu: email

nieuzbrojony umysl latwo myli te zjawiska, mimo, ze zadne z nich tu nie zachodzi :-)

http://atari.pl/hsc/ad.php?i=1.

Owszem, zachodzi. Ty stałeś się takim elementem lokalnego folkloru. W pełnej krasie. Jak Krzyś Kubeczko za czasów Bajtka.

Pamięć studenta ma charakter kwantowy - student wie wszystko, ale jednocześnie nic nie pamięta.
- Kilka(naście?) pudełek z klawiszami i światełkami. I jeden Vectrex, żeby nimi wszystkimi rządzić.

element folkloru, element tradycji, fanatyk .... co za postac :-)

Ja będę protestował przeciwko takiemu porównaniu. Krzysiek lubił ludzi i wiedział, gdy popełnił błąd.

vox populi, vox dei.

uwazaj z kim tanczysz :D

ZuluGula napisał/a:

czy sam kartridż będzie w nowej obudowie od Sikora, czy tak jak dotychczas?

tak, to bedzie obudowa od Sikora

Offtopic.  Ten błąd w U1Mb tkwi w firmware czy źle zaprojektowanej płytce ?  Bo niezrozumiałe dla mnie jest to też, że nie poprawiono tego. Wymaga zbyt dużego nakładu pracy ?

firmware

perf napisał/a:

Offtopic.  Ten błąd w U1Mb tkwi w firmware czy źle zaprojektowanej płytce ?  Bo niezrozumiałe dla mnie jest to też, że nie poprawiono tego. Wymaga zbyt dużego nakładu pracy ?

Not worth bothering with for the sake of one piece of software which only has an issue because of a pointless contrivance.

Don't you think, that both sides of the conflict are equally stubborn (you will probably deny, because you are one of the sides)? I don't think XXL even cares about correcting the bug, he just wants U1MB developers to admit, that it is a bug. You say "not worth bothering for one piece of software", so I bet he will release more software, which deliberately won't work with U1MB... just for his satisfaction, and to eradicate the argument about "one piece of software".

Moja kolekcja: Atari 1040STe (4MB), Atari 1040STfm (4MB, BLiTTER, AT-ONCE+), Atari 800XE (SIMM EXP 1MB), Atari 800XL (RAMBO XL 256kB), Atari 600XL (64kB), Sinclair ZX SPECTRUM+ (48kB), TIMEX Computer 2048 (48kB), Commodore A600 (2MB+4MB, HDD CF 4GB), Commodore C64C.

Prawo twórcy do stworzenia danego produktu, który nie działa na czymś tam off-stock, czy to robi celowo czy nie, jest jego prawem i nie ma tu dyskusji. To samo prawo oczywiście dotyczy twórcy firmware do U1MB, czy samego urządzenia. Szkoda jednak, że dotyka to też innych osób i że oba te produkty są na takich fundamentach sprzedawane komercyjne z pełną świadomością ich "wad".

Oni się tu "biją" a wiele z niewciągniętych w to osób, po prostu chce zagrać w GW, czy korzystać z dobrodziejstw U1MB. Grę jak będzie kupię - natrętne zbieractwo nowych produkcji na Atari mi tak nakazuje. Mam 10 atarynek, w tym 3 gołe, więc dla mnie to nie problem wyciągnąć na stół taką, z którą to zadziała. Szkoda tylko, że przez "wojenki", ucierpi na tym inny odbiorca (posiadacz jedynie modelu z U1MB), który za nic ma przepychanki, a chce po prostu jak ja sobie w to zagrać na real HW.

Ja w tej chwili nie mam żadnej "gołej" atarynki, ale też w żadnej nie mam U1MB. Najmocniejsza to 800XE z 1MB RAM (przełączane 1MB RAMBO/ 512kB Compy Shop) i QMEG OS. Rozszerzenie proste, tanie i kompatybilne. Wszystkie atarynki leżą w szafie, więc i tak, jak chcę w coś zagrać, muszę sięgnąć do szafy i którąś wyciągnąć.

Upór ze strony XXL jest czysto ideologiczny. W końcu jego MAP-RAM też stockowym rozwiązaniem nie jest. Dlatego uważam, że chodzi wyłącznie o to, by developerzy U1MB otwarcie przyznali, że ich produkt posiada błąd w firmware. Oni natomiast idą w zaparte, że to nie jest błąd, tylko założenie projektowe, więc nie będą go poprawiać (czyli klasyczne "nie bo nie").

U1MB nie jest potrzebny do gier XXL'a, bo wszystkie chodzą na 64kB. U1MB można wyłączyć i nie wiem, czy wtedy nadal ten błąd się ujawnia. Jeśli tak, to już bardzo niefajnie i nie przemówi do mnie żadne tłumacze, że tak miało być. Kiedy jest aktywne, niech sobie robi co chce, ale kiedy jest wyłączone, ma być tak, jakby go nie było.

Moja kolekcja: Atari 1040STe (4MB), Atari 1040STfm (4MB, BLiTTER, AT-ONCE+), Atari 800XE (SIMM EXP 1MB), Atari 800XL (RAMBO XL 256kB), Atari 600XL (64kB), Sinclair ZX SPECTRUM+ (48kB), TIMEX Computer 2048 (48kB), Commodore A600 (2MB+4MB, HDD CF 4GB), Commodore C64C.

Wyłączyć, czyli wyjąć na chwilkę z komputera po to, by zagrać. To dobry pomysł.

ADRES: pin@atari.pl - konto zlikwidowane. Aktualny adres: pin(at)atari8.info

Zasunąć w pół powieki, wciągnąć w głąb pół brzucha i do dżoja wysłać z niego caaaały zapas ducha. I zagrać...

Nikt nam lekkiego życia nie obiecał i słowa dotrzymał.
8bitów ; dereatari
Apple Hadware

Moje dziecko "męczy" właśnie Pana Tadeusza....  a ja też mam w lodówce tę samą lekturę.. ale nie  będę się z nią męczył, o nie! Będę się delektował :-)

https://systemembedded.eu/
""Ja bardzo przepraszam, ale podejrzenia panów są całkowicie bezpodstawne. Ja niczym nie handluję. Ta pani przyszła do mnie w tym Pancake-u i w nim wychodzi.""
ABBUC Member #319. Preferowana forma kontaktu: email

Pin napisał/a:

Wyłączyć, czyli wyjąć na chwilkę z komputera po to, by zagrać. To dobry pomysł.

Przecież jest konfigurator... czy pomimo wyłączenia rozszerzenia pamięci z jego poziomu, nadal miesza ono z dostępem do pamięci?

_tzok_ napisał/a:

Don't you think, that both sides of the conflict are equally stubborn (you will probably deny, because you are one of the sides)? I don't think XXL even cares about correcting the bug, he just wants U1MB developers to admit, that it is a bug. You say "not worth bothering for one piece of software", so I bet he will release more software, which deliberately won't work with U1MB... just for his satisfaction, and to eradicate the argument about "one piece of software".

Simple question for you: which is easier? Distributing a JED file and asking every U1MB owner to purchase a Xilinx platform cable, download the Lab Tools software, make a suitable patch cable for the 2mm JTAG header, and flash the CPLD of their U1MB, or XXL changing his damn game?

I'm afraid I consider it a dick move to advocate the former solution when distributing actively maintained software. Not that XXL would say he advocates either solution, since it's clear to me that he is NOT LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION. He enjoys the problem too much.

I agree, that patching all U1MBs in the World is not possible. But, at the same time, it should be not that difficult to fix the firmware (if that's really a bug, which I have no idea about) and sell new cards already patched. This would make everyone happy - if there's a bug in fw, XXL should feel satisfied andpeople whould have rights to insist on patching his games to work on older, unpatched U1MBs.
Again: If that's really an error
Anyway - this little war is simply pathetic and childish. Period.

Pamięć studenta ma charakter kwantowy - student wie wszystko, ale jednocześnie nic nie pamięta.
- Kilka(naście?) pudełek z klawiszami i światełkami. I jeden Vectrex, żeby nimi wszystkimi rządzić.

Let's wait for the game to be released ;>

"tatusiu zobacz, narysowałam tobie takie same coś jak na twojej koszulce" 
https://github.com/willyvmm/mouSTer
jmp $e477

flashjazzcat napisał/a:

Simple question for you: which is easier? Distributing a JED file and asking every U1MB owner to purchase a Xilinx platform cable, download the Lab Tools software, make a suitable patch cable for the 2mm JTAG header, and flash the CPLD of their U1MB, or XXL changing his damn game?

Life is not simple... first step is to admit, that there is a bug. Next step is to correct a bug, and sell new units with a corrected firmware. Final (but optional) step is to offer a firmware upgrade for existing users (may be even paid, or may be DIY). This maybe this is not simple, but is fair. So do you prefer simple, or fair solutions? I have no doubts that, as the bug is known, it should be corrected. I'm aware that manufacturer/distributor may be afraid to admit, that there is a bug, because it could mean, that he had to correct it on his cost (at least for units, which are still within the warranty period) - by replacing or reprogramming the units.

XXL seems to be a little too proud to give up, but so do the U1MB developers. Yet he fights for a fair treating of the Atari community, so I keep my fingers crossed for him. I'm pretty sure, if the U1MB developers would publicly acknowledge that there is a bug in the U1MB, relesed a patched/corrected firmware, and started selling units with this new firmware, XXL would release a patch for his software to work with a stock/not pached U1MB. The war would be over.

Ostatnio edytowany przez _tzok_ (2020-10-08 20:03:56)

perinoid napisał/a:

I agree, that patching all U1MBs in the World is not possible. But, at the same time, it should be not that difficult to fix the firmware (if that's really a bug, which I have no idea about) and sell new cards already patched. This would make everyone happy - if there's a bug in fw, XXL should feel satisfied andpeople whould have rights to insist on patching his games to work on older, unpatched U1MBs.

I think Candle acknowledged the 'behaviour' of the hardware. You'll have to ask him why he didn't fix it in new devices. Wild guess? XXL's attitude has been so fucking obnoxious that the chance for a fix has been blown.

_tzok_ napisał/a:

Life is not simple... first step is to admit, that there is a bug.

Already done, AFAIK, by Candle. XXL admits no issue, however, with his own stuff, so has not even broached that first step.

So do you prefer simple, or fair solutions?

If you think it's fair to deliberately exploit a quirk of U1MB for no practical reason other than to make your software crash on the machine, I don't know what to say. I simply do not know what point is being made here, other than an ideological objection to a certain vendor or designer.

I have no doubts that, as the bug is known, it should be corrected. I'm aware that manufacturer/distributor may be afraid to admit, that there is a bug, because it could mean, that he had to correct it on his cost (at least for units, which are still within the warranty period) - by replacing or reprogramming the units.

Certainly I can't understand why one would not fix a bug unless the well had already been poisoned by politics, which I think is what happened here.

XXL seems to be a little too proud to give up, but so do the U1MB developers.

Note that the U1MB CPLD side of things has nothing to do with me. I consider exploitation of the issue to be incredibly childish, however.

I'm pretty sure, if the U1MB developers would publicly acknowledge that there is a bug in the U1MB, relesed a patched/corrected firmware, and started selling units with this new firmware, XXL would release a patch for his software to work with a stock/not pached U1MB. The war would be over.

Possible. All I know of XXL's personality is what he projects on forums. In my experience, anyone who will go to these lengths will be hard to appease. It is not without precedent, either. He advocates illegal OS entry points, seems to consider 'NEWDEV' an aftermarket invention, and has an ethical objection to 16-bit CPUs. I would personally not be prepared to pander to someone with such complex needs. :)

Spokojnie, sprzeda kilka gier w nakładzie po 10 sztuk i ogłosi komercyjny sukces ;) W sumie, to chyba się tego spodziewa, bo planuje edycje kolekcjonerskie. Niby celowo, kto wie :)

I've been confronted on the Forum with Lotharek and Candle and I found them reacting quite aggressively to any criticism of their products, and acting like they were the smartest and greatest people on the World, and everyone should love and adore them, and be thankful for their products. On the other hand, XXL's replies, in general, seem to be more calm and cultural.

flashjazzcat napisał/a:

He advocates illegal OS entry points, seems to consider 'NEWDEV' an aftermarket invention, and has an ethical objection to 16-bit CPUs.

This is called purism, I understand and respect that. This is retro stuff. The hardware is what it was back in the '80s. We can, and should, explore its abilities in software, but keep the hardware in its original form. If you like 16-bit CPUs, go for Atari ST or Amiga, or even RAPIDUS, but don't call RAPIDUS an Atari XE. It has nothing to do with Atari XE, except it uses its case, keyboard, and a (modified) system software. It can do things that real XE system could never do. It is really great, but it is no longer an Atari XE.

@_tzok_ - odłącz od swojego ST i wyrzuć  - Goteka, UltraSatana i NetusBee, bo to nic wspólnego z Atari nie ma :P