Temat: Graphical operating system for Atari XL/XE?

How would you like a graphical operating system with multitasking on an 8-bit atari? :-)
http://asma.musichall.cz/at-wokna.png
Would anyone be interested in coding such OS?
I would gladly participate on that, with knowledge of operating system theory and some pixel art  :D

Odp: Graphical operating system for Atari XL/XE?

don't ya think da win9x gui style stink?

look man
http://www.i-lo.tarnow.pl/edu/inf/hist/gui/

:-)

http://atari.pl/hsc/ad.php?i=1.

Would anyone be interested in coding such OS?
I would gladly participate on that, with knowledge of operating system theory and some pixel art  :D

Well, I started coding such thing around 1996-97 but due to lack of good idea of a workable sheduler and IO subsystem - I gave it up. I still have some source around, but I don't think I'll follow. Remember one nifty idea of bank-switched round-robin sheduler. Some people (Jurgi/FLD or Charlie/NG if my memory serves me right) came up with a tricky idea of NMI based bank mutexes. Never got a working implementation though. That's all i can remember right now.

ps. some people saw the working GUI :) but the underlying OS was the normal atari OS so, not a big deal :)
Anyway - good luck to whomever writes such thing. Could be cool.

Great idea!!!
I propose one: completely new os, using Hard Disks interfeaces with no limits, stereo, extra memory etc. Maybe fully compatibly with DOS 3.30 (TOS)? Of course - old atari formats included...

Sikor umarł...

It would be nice to have such system on little Atari. Not only to show that atr can handle OS whit multitask. It would be useful - as I know, on 320K it's possible to hear ami-modules, so someone could write a player under that sys, and while writing another program have fun listening something at the time :). It would... It would? But... how many people are using Atari for things like gfx, txt, coding? Maybe many, I don't know, becaouse I know atr scene in practice short time. Anyway - i want that sys! :)

I like the idea. Add memory protection and vmm support to my "like-to-have" list :)
Maybe someone would port Mozilla and OpenOffice ?

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

one word: contiki ?

: 404. Stopka not found

Wasn't it discussed before ?  ;)
Link here.  I mean DIAMOND GOS, ATOS and BOSS XE.  8)

moze maly konkursik fejkow? photoshopy w lape i kto ma ladniejszy pulpit na malym atari ;-)

http://atari.pl/hsc/ad.php?i=1.

teraz prawdziwy scenowiec robi pulpity 2D na SoftImage 3D...trzeba byc trendy;)

gep/lamers^dial

Good idea, but any GOS for Atari should be at leat so usable and functional as GEOS for C64. I can see no sense in making the 'look at me only' OSes...

Well,
I do collect GUI`s and so far none of them made it to a standard on A8... In my collection are the following GUI`s / desktops:
- GOS 1985/86 (2 or 3 versions, looks nice, but thats it!)
- GOE 1988 (also 2 versions, supports mouse and Sparta DOS)

- XL-TOS 1987 (2 versions from german Atari magazine; absolutely lame - looks good, loads nothing, crashes always!),
- SAM 1988-89 (commercial version 2.x and type-in version 1.x from german Atari magazine; has lots of utilities, based on GEM of Atari ST; works with mouse and Joystick, can be enhanced with new tools easily - alas it merely works with DOS 2.5 ED format which was very popular at that time)

- ATOS 200? (complete GUI by TOM Hunt, with lots of tools and Sparta (only) support, alas the current version requires a harddisk partition 4MB or bigger or a good knowledge which parts are basically required to run the GUI from various disks and/or ramdisk),

- Desktop Construction Set (also by Tom Hunt, a sort of fore-runner to ATOS, available in 3 separate versions: a) DOS 2.5, b) MyDOS, c) SpartaDOS; since I never used it, I cannot tell much about it...)

- BOSS-XE and BOSS-X 1994-2004 (complete GUI written by Mirko Sobe in Turbo Basic XL; comes with lots of tools and many great ideas; supports MyDOS, subdirs and HD partitions up to 16MB; alas, is written completely in TB which takes quite some time to load: DOS-TB XL-GUI-program/tool),

- Diamond GOS 1988-1992 (available as a demo-version on disk and as version 1.x, 2.x and 3.x on super-cart. by Alan Reeve; the demo version is PD, the cart versions or better their ROMs are now freeware; this should have been the standard for Atari XL/XE computers, alas the Tramiels rejected the request by Reevesoft to licence this product and make it an official Atari product; in the end the GUI never really caught on; version 2.x and 3.x supported DOS XE, Sparta DOS, MyDOS and other systems with the capability of subdirs...)

well, there are dozens of other A8 GUI`s - think I even have some polish GUI`s in my collection, but as said before: none of them ever made it to a standard on the A8 and nowadays I have my doubts that any kind of GUI will ever do so. But hey, if you have nothing else to do, why not code another GUI... ;-)         -Andreas.

P.S.: If you are interested in any GUI just write an e-mail to:   amp#abbuc*de   and I will send you a part of my or my complete GUI collection...

http://gdansk-orunia.eu.org/atari/atari … system.atr tez fajnie sie zapowiadalo...

"wszystko się kiedyś kończy......."

don't ya think da win9x gui style stink?

look man
http://www.i-lo.tarnow.pl/edu/inf/hist/gui/

:-)

To pisał jakiś idiota. Podpis magister Jerzy, "Historia graficznych systemów", a nigdy nie słyszał o GEM-ie. No i te teksty:

"Kopiowałem sobie kilka plików (desktopem na Apple II), gdy nagle uderzyło mnie, jak bardzo przypomina to Windows 95 (lub być może, jak wiele Windows 95 wzięło z tych koncepcji). Inne programy zarządzające dyskiem, dostępne w owych czasach, nie były tak miłe przy zapisywaniu plików na ich poprzednich kopiach, więc zdziwiło mnie, iż ten zapytał mnie w taki sposób (tłum. w okienku znajduje się napis: Ten plik już istnieje. Czy chcesz go nadpisać ?)."

No faktycznie, rewelka.

And now about the graphical and multitasking Atari OS: IMHO, it is some multitasking kernel first, what is needed, and then you can build a GUI over it. The problem is that we don't have such a kernel yet. The other problem is whether we really want preemptive multitasking and OS development being made over years, with constant stability problems and so ...

By the way, I think that a really effective scheduler can be made on 65c816 (with its support for private zero pages and private stacks), and not on 6502. Correct me please, if I am wrong.

KMK
? HEX$(6670358)