Temat: Anybody with 1 MB expansion?

Hi all!

I have several demos which probably need 1MB extra memory to run correctly but I'm not able to test them on real machine because I have 320XE only. And testing everything is rule number one for me before putting any stuff on my site ( http://atari.fandal.cz ). So: is there anybody with 1 MB expansion to test those demos for me?

Thanx,

F.

Odp: Anybody with 1 MB expansion?

Me.

And many others, I think, 1MB extension is really popular in Poland.

[ Dodano: Nie Lut 06, 2005 11:08  ]
A tak się ma -1 do upływu dni i wieczną młodość.  :mrgreen:

BUHUUUUUU! And I`ve got only 64 KB of RAM in my Atari :((( I think I`m gonna cry! :<<< Man... I really have to get at least a 130XE or something :]

[ Dodano: Pon Lut 07, 2005 12:12 ]
BTW you`ve got a one cool site down there my dear man :>>>

pozdrawiam

PS Miker: w końcu napiszę to demo :P

BUHUUUUUU! And I`ve got only 64 KB of RAM in my Atari :((( I think I`m gonna cry! :<<< Man... I really have to get at least a 130XE or something :]

Wow. And I thought everybody in Poland has at least 320 kB because of so many cool demos only for expanded machines...

[ Dodano: Pon Lut 07, 2005 12:12 ]
BTW you`ve got a one cool site down there my dear man :>>>

Thanx man, I'm trying.

Who said that:

64KB is enough for everybody

Aby odpackować teksty trzeba najpierw odpackować  program do ich odpackowywania - Energy #1

Wasn' it 640 Kb?  :D

BeWus` right, shouldn`t it be 640 KB? And TSTT nobody said that 64KB is enoguh for me. It`s just that that I`m not such a great expert as the ones that wrote something in this thread before me ^_______^

pozdrawiam

PS Miker: w końcu napiszę to demo :P

I have several demos which probably need 1MB extra memory to run correctly

Hmm. I have never heard about production which require 1 MB of RAM. Maybe you have another type of expansion (Compy Shop for example) and demos which you need to run hasn't any bank selector.... What are the titles of this prods?

I have several demos which probably need 1MB extra memory to run correctly

Hmm. I have never heard about production which require 1 MB of RAM. Maybe you have another type of expansion (Compy Shop for example) and demos which you need to run hasn't any bank selector.... What are the titles of this prods?

Well, all mentioned demos were made by ABBUC and I wasn't able to run them in emulator correctly with any memory setting but 1088 kB. Jurgi has tested them on his real machine and he reports it works without any problem though some of them don't like QMEG  4.04 :) . So I think they really need 1024 kB of expanded memory. The reason could be not so effective manipulation with banks when diplaying animations in gr. 8 mode. If there is only one frame in each bank I can imagine 256 or 512 kB isn't enough...

Try to check "The Trabant Demo" at http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2221 - I just added it to my site.

F.

Well, I've also understood you wrong...

Hm, I've checked Star Wars demo also in 512 KB/Compy Shop compatible mode (I have a switch), and it worked ok. I've also seen Trabant demo earlier, and it worked on my old 320 KB Rambo expansion.

Maybe someone should check it on other systems/mem expansions?

[ Dodano: Pon Lut 08, 2005 11:51  ]

Well, I've also understood you wrong...

Hm, I've checked Star Wars demo also in 512 KB/Compy Shop compatible mode (I have a switch), and it worked ok. I've also seen Trabant demo earlier, and it worked on my old 320 KB Rambo expansion.

Maybe someone should check it on other systems/mem expansions?

[ Dodano: Pon Lut 08, 2005 11:51  ]

Well, there's history of the problem: I tested those demos on my real Rambo 320XE. They didn't work. So I tried emulator Win PLus and they worked only with 1088 kB setting. So I thought they require 1024 kB of extended memory.

F.

So, I've just tested them on emulator (Atari800Win 4.0). Atari completely doesn't work, the rest don't work with 320KB rambo, but work ok on 320KB compy shop.

[ Dodano: Pon Lut 08, 2005 17:48  ]

So, I've just tested them on emulator (Atari800Win 4.0). Atari completely doesn't work, the rest don't work with 320KB rambo, but work ok on 320KB compy shop.

Strange. Really. I've just tested Trabant demo in Atari 800 Win 4.0 beta 3 emulator too and it's not working correctly with 320kB Compy Shop setting. There's not rotating Trabant but some gargabe instead of it. On the screenshot you can see rotating Trabant when running demo with 1088 kB setting. Jurgi, do you see this when running it with 320kB Compy? I don't understand anything here if you do.

F.

Jurgi: how do you make it works on CS? On my emu it works only with 1088 KB of memory... But it should work on CS - German people have mostly CS expansion (if they have 320KB)...

Gosh, moment please, I'll check it once again...
...You're right, the demo looks different - there is no rotating trabant on 320KB :(. These demos are strange. I need a rest from them! I'll check them once again later.

[ Dodano: Pon Lut 08, 2005 21:51  ]

Hmm,
well, currently I own 512k XRAM (576k RAM total). but believe me, the ABBUC demos all work ok on 320k compyshop (CS) expanded Ataris. I do have a Compyshop compatible Megaram 2 RAM upgrade with 256k XRAM and since this was not enough for me and many polsih demos did not work with it, I extended it to 512k...

Before upgrading to 512k, all ABBUC demos were tested on the 320k CS machine and they worked fine (be sure to switch off BASIC, otherwise garbage appears here and there - hold down OPTION!). One more thing, looks like the emulator is not emulating RAM upgrades well. Rambo and CS are not the same actually. All demos work on the original machine with a CS upgrade but they do not work on an original machine with Rambo upgrade !! Looks like this is different on the emulator...

CS ramdisks have block 26AE (each with 4 banks, total = 16 banks), original Rambo upgrades by ICD did have blocks ACE (each with 4 banks, total = 12 banks). Meaning the CS *added* 256k to the existing 64k, so you got a 320k machine. Not so with the Rambo, it *replaced* the 64k base RAM with 256k, but since 64k are still required as base RAM you merely have 64k base RAM plus 192k extended RAM (total = 256k RAM). In other words: CS is the same as Megaram 1-3, all have a total of 320k RAM, whereas Rambo is the same as Buchholz and Newell, they have only a total of 256k RAM...

Well, now for the emulator: it sets CS as a 320k machine which is correct, but it also sets Rambo as a 320k machine which is not fully correct (it should say TOMS or Atari Magazine here to avoid confusion with original Ataris and original RAM upgrades). Just take a look at my Ramdisk info article (or overview) which should make some things clearer or even more confusing. Finally, only two demos exist that really require 1 Megabyte extended memory: a) the raytracing demo by ABBUC member solocoder of Ace (a stupid raytracing demo that comes on 8 bootdisks) and b) the BRULL sample demo that was released a short time ago...

-andreas magenheimer

Hmm,
well, currently I own 512k XRAM (576k RAM total). but believe me, the ABBUC demos all work ok on 320k compyshop (CS) expanded Ataris. I do have a Compyshop compatible Megaram 2 RAM upgrade with 256k XRAM and since this was not enough for me and many polsih demos did not work with it, I extended it to 512k...

Before upgrading to 512k, all ABBUC demos were tested on the 320k CS machine and they worked fine (be sure to switch off BASIC, otherwise garbage appears here and there - hold down OPTION!). One more thing, looks like the emulator is not emulating RAM upgrades well. Rambo and CS are not the same actually. All demos work on the original machine with a CS upgrade but they do not work on an original machine with Rambo upgrade !! Looks like this is different on the emulator...

CS ramdisks have block 26AE (each with 4 banks, total = 16 banks), original Rambo upgrades by ICD did have blocks ACE (each with 4 banks, total = 12 banks). Meaning the CS *added* 256k to the existing 64k, so you got a 320k machine. Not so with the Rambo, it *replaced* the 64k base RAM with 256k, but since 64k are still required as base RAM you merely have 64k base RAM plus 192k extended RAM (total = 256k RAM). In other words: CS is the same as Megaram 1-3, all have a total of 320k RAM, whereas Rambo is the same as Buchholz and Newell, they have only a total of 256k RAM...

Well, now for the emulator: it sets CS as a 320k machine which is correct, but it also sets Rambo as a 320k machine which is not fully correct (it should say TOMS or Atari Magazine here to avoid confusion with original Ataris and original RAM upgrades). Just take a look at my Ramdisk info article (or overview) which should make some things clearer or even more confusing. Finally, only two demos exist that really require 1 Megabyte extended memory: a) the raytracing demo by ABBUC member solocoder of Ace (a stupid raytracing demo that comes on 8 bootdisks) and b) the BRULL sample demo that was released a short time ago...

-andreas magenheimer

Thank you very much for info. So there's just a problem with emulator. OK. I will believe you as I don't have Compy Shop upgrade to test those demos on real Atari...

F.

Me.

And many others, I think, 1MB extension is really popular in Poland.

[ Dodano: Nie Lut 06, 2005 11:08  ]

yeah...it`very popular....and in addition - there`s noone willing to put 1mb simm to my atari...i`ve been begging for several months and now recall.....HELP !!

Hmm. I have never heard about production which require 1 MB of RAM.

Maybe BRULL(wurfel) / TRS (remake) msx 1MB (ram) demo ?? :):):):) 1088kB - 1 bank (optional for SDX users)  :twisted:

ADRES: pin@atari.pl - konto zlikwidowane. Aktualny adres: pin(at)atari8.info